Thursday, June 21, 2018

There, and back again. A finn's tale

Dunnet Head, John O'Groates, Wick, Dunbeath, Helmsdale, Boat of Garten, Aviemore.
They used to be just dots on a map. Now they, together with many more, have been transformed to real towns with real, and beautiful, buildings and people.

The roads connecting all these places have become familiar and dear to us. Gone is the apprehension of driving on the "wrong" side of the road, having been exchanged for a nagging feeling that we,should build roads like this as well! I mean, who
*doesn't * want to speed ahead at breathtaking speeds (*any* speed is breathtaking when the road is only 20 cm wider than the car) on curvy roads?

I'm going to miss the wee roads that crawl up and down along mountainsides, through forests, by meadows and marshland, sometimes with a inclination/declination of up to 13%.
I'm going to miss the sheep that ward their young away from the road when a car approaches. I'm going to miss exchanging a greeting with *each and every* car or bike I meet, as we slowly pass each other on one of a thousand passing places, and I'm going to miss the landscape, the sights and the people I've met.

Thank you Cairngorm Campers for providing us with our rolling home!
Thank you Scotland for providing us with a new and wonderful place to wake up every morning!
And thank You, dear reader for providing a reason for me to scratch down these texts during our trip!

Doing this alone would not, however, have been half as rewarding as sharing these moments with my beloved wife Carola. So thank you, my darling, for putting up with me and my endless puns.  I hope you don't mind if I stick around for another 21 years.
Thanks for watching

Don't miss my next blog "Kanalresan 2, the Return of The Narrowboat Stompers", coming in 2019 to a computer near you!

Yours,
Björn "ÄnnuVärre"Friberg




No comments:

Post a Comment